The Lightning Thief


Okay, I have to admit it...as much as it embarrasses me...I am a book snob. I really work hard to carve out time for reading (in the parking lot before work, while I dry my hair, in the bathtub,- NOT those two together!- etc...)so if it is not an awesome book--I don't want to waste my time! That includes children's books I read to be able to read aloud or recommend to my students.

This summer, the Today Show started a book club for kids. I didn't pay much attention to it until I happened to be watching one morning when the kids were talking about a book they had been reading. I couldn't tell exactly what the book was about, but the enthusiasm for the book was unanimous among the kids. The fact that it was recommended on TV or that it just sold it's movie rights wouldn't have caused me to seek it out, but the kids' zeal for the book grabbed my attention.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is a story about a twelve year old boy with ADD and dyslexia who finds out he is the modern day son of a Greek God. Still hasn't caught your attention?!? Well, read the first few lines of the story in this excerpt:

Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood.
If you're reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close the book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life.
Being a half-blood is dangerous. It's scary. Most of the time, it gets you killed in painful, nasty ways.
If you're a normal kid, reading this because you think it's fiction, great. Read on. I envy you for being able to believe that none of this ever happened.
But if you recognize yourself in these pages-if you feel something stirring inside-stop reading immediately. You might be one of us. And once you know that, it's only a matter of time before they sense it too, and they'll come for you.
Don't say I didn't warn you.


What kid is not going to want to turn to the next page? I can't wait to use this book in my classroom this year and I will recommend it to anyone who'll listen. Are you listening? Don't take after me and be a book snob.

0 comments: