Getting Connected

When I first started teaching, my professional network consisted of the six teachers on my wing. I went to them for lesson ideas, behavior management advice, holiday activity ideas and morale support. I rarely had time to speak with other teachers in the building, so my network remained small and linear.

With the technology we have available now, my network consists of hundreds of teachers here where I live in Florida and around the world. I can walk next door to my neighboring teacher or log on and speak to teachers across the world in my twitter network. Networking online has become my number one tool for lesson ideas, advice on everything and morale support.

Creating a ning for the teachers I work with was a way for me to show other teachers how easy it is to connect and share online. Our school is a National Model School for America's Choice
and we host visitors all year long to tour and observe in our school. One way we are using the our ning is to post demo lesson videos for many to view at their own leisure.

In the few months our ning has been developed, we have close to 180 educators all over the US and one in Canada. If you haven't joined an online network like twitter or a ning - get connected! You don't know what you're missing! Please consider this an invitation to join Setting the Standard. See you online. :)


Visit Setting the Standard

0 comments: