Standing on your Shoulders

In my career, I’ve always had that “go-to” person I would seek out with questions. Collectively, these teachers have helped mold me into the educator I am today. I am fortunate enough to still work with one of these thought-provoking teachers. dayle timmons who actually was key in luring me into my current position has had a immeasurable impact on the teacher I am today. For that, I am grateful.

The school where dayle and I work supports life-long learners. Our collegial culture supports collaboration, common planning time, professional book studies, and prescriptive teaching. Additionally, we embrace risk taking and piloting of new and innovative programs and ideas. In the three years I have been at CCE, I have never felt a void for growing and learning professionally. If anything, this collegial experience has spurred my appetite for professional growth even more.

My professional growth took a fork in the road and entered an online facet. For about a year now, I’ve been involved in reading blogs, twittering and learning from online colleagues. This electronic networking has only added to the priceless possibilities I hadn’t yet considered. A few months ago, I followed a link that Dean Shareski, an educational technologist from Canada, sent out on twitter to a ustream conversation he was having with fellow educators – actually, they were ustreaming their lunch! So, I sat at my computer on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Florida eavesdropping in on the dialogue they were having over lunch in a restaurant in Canada as the snow fell in the windows behind them. While listening to their conversation about professional development, twitter, and Dean’s wardrobe (I think your wardrobe is fine by the way, Dean) I was participating in an instant message chat with the other viewers. Long story short-- one of the other viewers and I realized we were both eavesdropping in from Jacksonville, FL. What a coincidence!

After making the connection, Silvia Tolisano (aka Langwitches) and I began following each other on twitter. Over the holiday break, we decided to meet face to face. Our first two hour meeting flew by as we talked about our families (we both have teenagers), and how we integrate technology in our respective elementary schools. As we got ready to leave, we realized we should have podcasted our face to face to allow others to log on and eavesdrop. So, weeks later, we met again to podcast. Listen to our podcast here.

I am proud to add Silvia to my growing professional learning community both electronically and in person! And, am so grateful to everyone who shares their enthusiasm for our craft globally for teachers like me to stand on their shoulders and say, “Look at this!!!”

Thanks to Silvia Tolisano, Dean Shareski, Rachel Boyd, Jeff Utecht, Simon , Will Richardson, Clay Burell, Suzanne Shall and dayle timmons…….

5 comments:

CB said...

Gee, thanks for that. Good luck on the brave new web :)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you my fellow blog evangelist and web2 explorer!

Look at how you've become a "go to" person in this area :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to mention again how neat it was to get a tweet from you about meeting Wolfgang Puck while you were in California :-) That's the power of the network and as an educator fairly new to all of this, I just can't get over the vast amount of information I'm privy to at the click of a mouse. It truly seems to me that geography isn't even the slightest issue anymore as I collaborate with teachers in different parts of the US and other countries. I surely would never have "met" you if it were up to location - I'm in WI and would not likely have run into you anywhere here :-)

Langwitches said...

Melanie,
I am also thrilled to have met you. I think we make a good podcasting team. Let's get together for another one, when you are back from California.

I have a lot more ideas. :)

Hi! I am a math teacher in India. I got to know about you from a post by Lizbdavis.From there I found a link on twitter and this blog.
I am amazed to see the power on networking. I believe in learning and sharing. You are a passionate teacher. Join me on the network http://passionateteachers.ning.com
Share your knowledge and expertise .
Regards