Why Am I Surprised?

Even though I know I'm a digital immigrant, I try really hard to keep up with what the digital natives in my house know. This time, my youngest two taught me a lesson!

I recently gave my five year old twins a Nintendo DS for their birthday. They had been playing their sisters' games and enjoying them regularly so I wasn't surprised when they pulled them out every chance they got.
But I was surprised when I heard them giggling at the same time and it occurred to me...if they are playing two different games, then why are they laughing at the same time? I went to investigate and this is what I discovered.

They were texting each other!

First of all, I didn't know that a Nintendo DS had this feature. Second of all, my twins are non-readers and non-writers. So how were they texting? In rebus style!



I shouldn't be surprised. This is why I love technology. Kids do things with technology that exceed my expectations. All. the. time.

11 comments:

This is AMAZING! A picture really is worth a thousand words!

Mrs. McLeod said...

What a sweet picture, and such a lesson for us to learn from the youngest of learners. Tell your babies happy belated birthday from their proud swim instructor. :)

Jenny Nash said...

This post just got my daughter a Nintendo DS for Christmas! I had no idea! :)

Jenny,
She'll have to come over so they can "chat". :)

Unknown said...

I'll agree with Jenny here. What an incredible feature. This conversation has occurred more than once in my home as the holiday season nears: we know he wants a game system, but which one will grow with him and not leave him to play solely baseless games. This is just another in a long line of good stories I have heard about the DS. Thanks for the post!

Patrick,
And if it makes you feel any better about your purchase - my 12 yr old and 18 yr old still use their quite a bit. Plenty of great games with deep thinking and creating for older crowd.

Anonymous said...

This is a great example of how children are developmentally able to problem solve and experiment with technology at a very young age! I saw it with my own children who are now teenagers. The best part of this example is that they weren't just playing a game, they were communicating and collaborating! Awesome post!

Suzanne said...

This is the best commercial ds could run. Wonder if you will get a call. :)

I think this is great but maybe they should leave their Nintendos at home or we will have to add "What will happen if you are caught texting in class" to our open house agenda. Wow - sounds like high school.

What a great post! Your children are adorable and I am so glad you shared this teachable moment with the rest of us!
Cheryl

Mrs. Felter said...

Oh my gosh, your kids are the cutest. Honestly, this doesn't surprise me at all. A few years ago my cousin (who is in sixth grade now) was teaching me how to do things on my computer and now the twins are texting...it seems about right! I am amazed by the things my students can do with technology.